Colorado Country Life Magazine Bonus Features
Elevation Pizza's (in Fraser) Pepperoni Rolls Recipe
Strip & Tail (in Winter Park) Buffalo Chili Recipe
5 lbs ground buffalo
4 tbsp minced garlic
1 cup diced onion
2 16-oz cans diced tomatoes
2 16-oz cans diced kidneys
4 oz hot chili paste
4 oz Siracha hot sauce
1. Brown buffalo meat in a frying pan or skillet.
2. Add cooked meat to a large stew pot.
3. Add remaining ingredients.
4. Simmer for 2 hours.
The Smokehouse BBQ (in Winter Park) Smoked Chicken Wing Recipe
a few pounds of jumbo chicken wings
your favorite BBQ sauce
your favorite smoking wood
1. Toss raw wings in dry rub and refrigerate 2-3 hours.
2. Bring smoker up to 220 degrees F with your favorite wood.
3. Smoke wings at 220 degrees F for 1.5 - 2 hours, carefully maintaining the temperature.
4. Pull wings from the smoker and grill for 5-7 minutes until crisp.
5. Toss in your favorite sauce or enjoy dry!
Goody's Cranberry Citrus Dressing (served on the Mary Jane Crepe)
cranberry orange jam
1 cup sugar
16 oz cranberry, frozen
1 orange, zest and Jjuice
1 apple, peeled, cored, and grated
1. Combine ingredients in a medium saucepan on medium heat and bring to a boil. Then, keep at a low boil for about 15 minutes. Intermittently, you’ll hear the cranberries popping.
2. Mix often to check for thickening. If cranberries have not all popped and it’s getting too thick, add a bit more water or orange juice.
3. Taste for sweetness and flavor at about 10 minutes (add more sugar, if desired). Cook for another 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and use an immersion blender or potato masher to break up most of the chunks.
5. Scoop into jars and refrigerate.
Bill Barnes' Mom's (probably-will-one-day-be-world-famous) Ooey Gooey Brownie Recipe
4 squares bitter chocolate
1 bar Baker's German chocolate
2 sticks butter
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup + 3 tbsp of flour (1 cup only for lower altitude)
4 eggs, well beaten
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
powdered sugar (for sprinkling after brownies cool)
1. Melt bitter chocolate, German chocolate and butter in top of double boiler
2. Add remaining ingredients (except powdered sugar)
3. Beat well
4. Pour into greased 9 x 13 cake pan
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes on middle shelf
6. Sprinkle powdered sugar on brownies after they cool
River Rock Cafe (Tyler Fait's) Garlic Shrimp Scampi Fettuccine Recipe
Fettuccine noodles (6 oz per serving)
4-5 medium-sized shrimp
3 tbsp butter
1 tbsp garlic
1/4 oz thinly sliced red peppers
Old Bay seasoning
salt & pepper for seasoning
basil leaf, for garnish
1. Boil slightly salted water, add Fettuccine.
2. Cook, noodles for approximately 10 minutes (until al dente), then give the noodles an ice bath to prevent them from overcooking.
3. Season shrimp with Old Bay, salt & pepper.
4. In a fry pan, saute shrimp and red peppers in garlic butter.
5. Plate Fettuccine noodles. Top with garlic shrimp & peppers.
6. Garnish with basil leaves.
Quickie's Guac Recipe (The Food Truck in Tabernash)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 lime, squeezed
1/2 cup pico de gallo (the fresher, the better) OR 1/4 cup of salsa OR hot sauce
salt & pepper for seasoning
1. Mash avocado
2. Combine ingredients in a bowl or molcajete
Fraser Valley Hot Dog: Matt's Traditional Chicago-Style Topping Recipe
Sport pepper (like pepperoncini)
Celery salt (most important ingredient)
Dill pickle slice
1. Dice onion
2. Dice sport pepper
3. Slice Roma tomato
4. Top hot dog with each ingredient
5. Sprinkle celery salt for seasoning
WARNING: DO NOT EVER add ketchup to a Chicago-style dog (or do it in secret so no one sees you)
Kristin McGuan's Asparagus Caprisi Salad (Kristen's Personal Chef Service)
2 tbsp fresh basil, minced
1 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 clove garlic
1 bunch of asparagus, wooden ends removed
handful of grape tomatoes, halved
handful of mini mozzarella balls
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
sea salt and freshly cracked pepper (for seasoning)
1. Add basil, parsley, lemon zest and garlic together in a bowl. Mix until well combined.
2. Bring pot of salted water to a boil, then add asparagus spears. Cook for 2-3 minutes, depending on thickness, until crisp and tender.
3. Immediately remove from boiling water and plunge into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process and to preserve the bright green color.
4. Once cooled, place onto a towel and pat dry.
5. Arrange asparagus spears on serving platter, then add tomato halves and mozzarella balls.
6. Sprinkle gremolata (minced parsley, lemon and garlic mix) atop veggies and cheese, then drizzle olive oil and lemon juice on top.
7. Season well with sea salt & freshly cracked pepper.
Back Bowl Soup & Bistro's Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
6 pieces of bacon, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 tsp garlic, diced
1/4 cup stock butter
2 large Garnett sweet potatoes, diced
1 large Russet potato, diced
black & cayenne pepper (for seasoning)
maple syrup (garnish)
1. On a skillet, heat butter. Cook bacon until crisp.
2. Add onion. Cook until clear.
3. Add pepper and garlic (for approximately one minute).
4. Add potatoes.
5. Cover with chicken stock and boil until soft.
6. After soft, blend until very smooth.
7. Add pepper and adjust heat with cayenne.
8. Serve with a splash of maple syrup.
The Ditch's (in Winter Park) Burger Enhancing Tips
1. Top burgers with onions
2. Top burgers with chopped Hatch chilies
3. Toast buns with cheese
4. Cap and steam burgers before serving them.
The Rapid's (Grand Lake) Tomato, Basil & Garlic Recipe (serves 4)
tomatoes, average-sized (more if using Roma, less if large tomatoes), chopped evenly
2-5 basil leaves, chopped
8 tsp garlic, minced
1 tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
1 cup white or red wine
salt & pepper (for seasoning)
1. Mix tomatoes, basil and garlic in a bowl.
2. In medium frying pan, warm olive oil over medium heat.
3. Add ingredients. Stir occasionally for 2-3 minutes.
4. If making a reduction sauce, add wine and reduce 2-3 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Use over pasta or salad (can also blend into marinara).
Carver's Bakery Cafe (in Winter Park) Thumbprint Cookie Recipe:
1/2 cup butter, unsalted
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk, large egg
2 tsp lemon juice
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 cup nuts or coconut, toasted
1 cup jam
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. For 2-5 minutes, cream together butter and sugar in the bowl of a mixer. Mix should be light in color and fluffy.
3. Add egg yolk and lemon juice. Beat until well incorporated.
4. Stir in flour by hand.
5. Roll dough into 1-inch balls.
6. Lightly beat egg white until it begins to foam.
7. Roll dough balls in egg white, then in toasted nuts.
8. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased sheet pan.
9. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove. Use back of small teaspoon to create a thumbprint in the center of the cookies.
10. Put back in oven for 10 minutes.
11. Cool completely, then fill with jam of choice.
Grand Lake Winter Carnival
THEME: Under the Big Top - featuring Chautauqua-style fun with artistic and creative inclinations
February 7 - February 9 (beginning with a welcome reception at the Grand Lake Center on the 7th)
Workshops include: creative writing, photography, painting, culinary arts, kiln-formed glass, kids word working and songwriting.
All workshops offered for a small fee. Register at https://gced.events.idloom.com/underthebigtop
MORE INFO: Contact DiAnn Butler - email@example.com, 970.531.1343
Grand County Historical Association Aviation Museum (in Granby)
MAY 20, 11a-1p: Learn from Lindbergh
JUL 6, 8a-11a: Fly-In Pancake Breakfast
SEP 6, 10:30a-11:30a: Pre-School Aviation History Adventures
REGULAR SUMMER HOURS (JUN 1 - AUG 31): Open Fridays & Saturdays 11a - 2p (except JUL 6, see above)