Skip to main navigation.
Report a Power Outage: 970-887-3378

FAQs - New Construction Service Installation

Effective April 1, 2019


1.  I am looking into buying or building on a particular piece of land. Who can answer my questions regarding my new service or if the line will need to be extended?

Call the Engineering Department (970) 887-3378 office staff or stop by the Engineering office to visit with the staff.  Area maps are available for viewing for the existing electrical lines.  The staff will go over the procedures and provide the necessary documentation at no cost. If you desire a field visit by the staking engineer to review preliminary information, a $100 non-refundable fee will need to be paid. An appointment can be scheduled, but no estimated cost will be provided (see 7b).


2.  What is the procedure to apply for residential service (new construction)?

Contact the Engineering Department at MPE.  You will need to complete a Residential Application Form and return it to the Engineering Department along with the applicable non-refundable engineering deposit (see 7b).  Before the application can be accepted, the property pins need to be visible, the address posted and we may require the building to be staked. This completed form provides us with pertinent information including: billing/contact information, property location, electric load information and site sketch.  We will require a meeting with you (and/or your electrician and general contractor) and a staking engineer at the site of construction.  At the meeting, you will agree on meter location and the design of the service.  Please Note:  It shall be the sole responsibility of the customer to confirm if overhead utilities, meter pedestal, or junction boxes are allowed in the area they are building.  Should the utility be required to be relocated, the customer shall be responsible for all applicable charges.

3.  What is the procedure for upgrading my existing service/or relocating my meter?

Contact the Engineering Department at MPE.  You will need to complete a Service Upgrade and/or Meter Relocation Application and return it to the Engineering Department along with the non-refundable $600 engineering deposit.  Once the completed form and engineering deposit have been received, a site visit will be scheduled with a staking engineer to meet with you (and/or your electrician and general contractor).  At the meeting, the meter location will be agreed upon and the construction responsibilities of the electrician and/or MPE for the required upgrade or relocation.  If the upgrade or meter relocation doesn’t require any work to be done by MPE, the unused portion of the Engineering Deposit may be returned.


4.  Why is a meeting with a staking engineer required? 

This meeting serves many purposes.  It enables MPE and the customer to understand what is expected of them for this particular new service.  A new service may appear to be very simple; however, there are many factors the staking engineer needs to take into account before an accurate staking sheet and cost estimate can be completed.  These may include: the route for the new primary line, the length of the new line, location and size of the transformer, the availability of existing conduit across a road, if any easements need to be obtained and the number of existing meters on an existing secondary electric pole. The required meeting also keeps a new job flowing smoothly through the system by helping to eliminate errors and miscommunications between MPE and the customer.  By doing this, we can help to avoid additional, unforeseen costs and delays.


5.  How much will it cost to extend electric service to my lot? 

It is very difficult to quote costs for extending the primary line.  The cost can vary based on items such as the type of primary line construction, size of the structure, type of heat, hot tub, etc. 


Primary Lines - A ballpark-starting estimate for the cost of single-phase primary lines is:


  •  Primary Underground

     $30/ft to $50/ft.  Due to differences in length, equipment, and other variances specific to each project, these prices are
     only estimates and may vary. This estimate does not include the costs to be paid by the customer to have a contractor
     excavate/backfill and install primary conduit/vaults to MPE standards.  It also does not include secondary service cost. 


  • Primary Overhead

     $3500 to $7000 per pole. Due to differences in length, equipment, and other variances specific to each project, these
     prices are only estimates and may vary. Poles can be set approximately every 275 feet, depending on terrain and


  • Secondary Service 

     For secondary service, refer to pages 1, 2, and appendix in Electric Service Construction Standards, (ESCS), Part 1.


6.  Why does MPE require the customer install all underground primary conduits and vaults?

This business practice allows customers to choose an excavation contractor who specialize in such work and are better equipped for projects in our territory.  This also provides the customer control of schedules in various weather conditions and improved ability to coordinate the installation of electric and communication lines in a joint trench.  MPE crews are better equipped, more expert & efficient in the electrical installation work (cable pulling, splicing & terminating, and installing transformers & switches) than excavation work.


7.  What will be the cost to provide electric service to my new home?

a)  The cost for a new residence range anywhere from $2,500 - $5,500.  There are many variables that affect the cost; the size of service which determines the Capacity Charge, the transformer costs (size of transformer and number of consumers it will serves,  if any), if the secondary service is overhead or underground, metering options (meter on house verses a meter pedestal), and the amount of materials and labor needed for your project.  A completed load sheet and engineering deposit are required along with a site visit so an estimate can be prepared and more exact costs can be determined (see #2).


b)  A non-refundable Engineering Deposit is required. The deposit is usually between $600-$1000 depending on the number of site meetings and any changes in meter location or any other changes(s) by the customer. The deposit will be applied towards the cost of the job, site visits(s), staking, design, contracts, etc. for a period of one year from the date of receipt.


NOTE:  The above totals DO NOT include the customer’s cost of trenching, or the purchase and installation of the conduit, secondary wire, and meter socket.  It is the owner’s responsible to verify if overhead is acceptable with the appropriate authorities; county, HOA, municipalities, etc.


8.  What is the customer's responsibility for the installation of underground secondary service from the pad-mount transformer, junction box or pole to the meter?

The customer is responsible for the underground secondary service which includes the trenching/backfill, installation of the conduit and cable.


9.  What is the “Capacity Charge?

Growth in our service territory has created a large increase in the demand on the electrical system, which results in the need to increase the “back bone” capacity of the system.  The MPE Board of Directors has decided that the cost of electric facilities required to supply new load growth should be paid by the developers and builders, rather than subsidized by existing members.  The capacity charge rate is based on the average cost for substations and feeders in the Mountain Parks Electric, Inc. system.  This practice will help to minimize future rate increases that would otherwise be needed to finance this growth.  If you have any additional questions regarding this or other MPE related items, please don’t hesitate to contact any of our offices. Refer to the Capacity Charge table in the Electric Service Construction Standards, Part 1.


10.  May I pay for my new electric service with a credit card?

You may use a MasterCard or VISA up to the amount authorized by your credit card company.


11.  May I pay for my new electric service in installments?

In order to avoid passing on the expenses of a new service to our existing customers, we require full payment in advance.  A new service must be paid in full before we will release the job to the Operations Department for construction.


12.  Why do I need a building permit?

Counties/towns require that MPE ask to have a copy of the building permit.  MPE can build a primary line extension, with no meters attached, (such as a subdivision) without a building permit.  If meters are involved, a building permit or verbal/written “ok” is required.


13.  When will the work be completed? 

We will mail you a contract after all staking requirements are met.  Upon receipt of the signed contract, payment of all required fees, any required easement(s), and a copy of the building permit, the MPE Engineering Department will release the project to the Operations Department.  You will be able to pick up the required equipment from the MPE Granby Warehouse, with the provided voucher.  The Operations Department schedules the construction work for the portion of the project to be installed by MPE.


14.  When do I receive my temporary/permanent meter?

After MPE receives the completed/signed required paperwork, fees, a copy of the building permit, MPE’s construction is complete, and a release from the State Electrical Inspector, MPE will connect the meter.


15.  Why can't I get a refund on part of my line extension construction charges when a subsequent consumer connect onto the line?

MPE is a member-owned electric cooperative whose main objective is to provide power to our members in a safe and reliable manner at a reasonable and equitable cost.  When a member requests power to be extended to his/her property, MPE will implement a line extension under the applicable Tariffs approved by the MPE Board of Directors.  MPE is not, however, in the business of negotiating the cost of a line extension between property owners within a neighborhood. Should the property owners desire to work together to share the cost of extending a line, that negotiation should remain among those property owners. MPE will simply extend power lines as contracted by those owners desiring electric service. Any members connecting to the line subsequently will pay the costs associated with connecting to the existing lines.


16.  Can I cross my neighbor's property for electric service ?  

If MPE approves bringing your service across your neighbor’s property you will need to obtain permission from your neighbor and an easement will be needed.  MPE will prepare any easement documents and inform the customer of required landowner’s easements; the customer is responsible to obtain signatures from property owner(s) for all required easement(s) using MPE documents.


17.  How close to a pad-mount transformer can I build my house, condominium or other permanent building? 

MPE requires 10-feet of separation from the nearest combustible wall or nearest building overhang, as well as from windows, air intake vents, stairs, doors, or other building openings to the transformer vault.  A minimum 3 feet of separation is required from non-combustible walls (brick, masonry, slate, tile, concrete, steel, iron, or other fire-rated assembly accepted in writing by the local fire protection official).  The safe operation of our electric power system around the general public is our top priority and must be achieved during the entire 50-plus-years anticipated life of transformers and other electrical facilities. Refer to Drawing U4 in Electric Service Construction Standards, Part 2 for Minimum Equipment Clearance Guide.


18.  How close to an overhead power line can I build my house or other permanent structures? 

MPE does not allow houses or other permanent structures to be built under overhead power lines due to the safety hazards which could result during maintenance activities e.g. removing snow from the roof, or from a broken "energized" conductor. MPE requires a minimum separation from an existing primary conductor to a new structure of 10-feet measured horizontally from the nearest conductor to any overhang or other part of the structure. The safe operation of our electric power system around the general public is our top priority and must be achieved during the entire 50-plus-years anticipated life of poles, conductors, and other electrical facilities.  MPE is required to meet or exceed the minimum clearance requirements published in the National Electrical Safety Code, which is the industry standard for electric power lines. Refer to Drawing R120 in the Electric Service Construction Standards, Part 2.


19.  What is the basis for the construction charge quotation used in a site-specific line extension contract?

Construction charges are based on the estimated labor and materials to complete the project, plus overheads.  For projects with construction charges greater than $10,000, MPEI will reconcile the actual cost to complete the project compared to the quoted price.  MPEI will refund overpayments in excess of $100 and invoice underpayments in excess of $500.


20.  When will I receive my overpayment refund? 

Upon completion of MPE work and if a refund is due as explained in #20., it takes a minimum of 30-days for all labor and material charges to clear MPE’s accounting system and an additional 30-60 days depending on staff workload to reconcile the actual construction charge with contract payment and process the refund or invoice.  MPE will pay interest on the refund amount from the date payment was received until the refund check is prepared.


This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer. 


If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U. S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at


For any additional information please refer to the MPE Electrical Construction Standards Part 1 & 2 or @  or contact the Engineering Department at 970-887-3378 to request copies of the MPE Electrical Construction Standards Parts I and II.

Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo