In the 1940s, North Park residents – north of Kremmling and
along Highway 40 – grew tired of living without the benefits of
electricity. Convinced there was no profitability in providing rural
people with electricity,investor-owned power companies (IOUs)
were unwilling to invest the capital needed to extend power lines
into the rural United States.
Undeterred by IOU rejection, Jackson County residents
established North Park Rural Electric Association (NPREA), a
consumer-owned electric cooperative, on October 16, 1946.
With the help of the Rural Electrification Administration (REA,
also known as Rural Utilities Service), NPREA obtained federal
loans to construct power lines, bringing electricity to North
Central Colorado. Area residents' lives were changed forever
(see electricity: before and after).
NPREA’s first power lines were energized in 1950. Between
1953 and 1959, NPREA purchased several area power companies
including Granby's Mountain Utilities Corporation and municipals in
Grand Lake and Kremmling. When the headquarters moved from
Walden to Granby (in 1953), NPREA changed its name to Mountain
Parks Electric (MPE), reflecting its main service territory: North Park
and Middle Park. At that time, MPE employed an 11-person line crew
and an office staff of seven to service 3,860 meters.
To help power the 21st century, MPE – your Touchstone Energy®
cooperative – is committed to providing large and small customers with
state-of-the-art technology and personalized service at affordable rates.
We've built a reputation of integrity, accountability, innovation and
community commitment and join together with over 700 other national
cooperatives under the Touchstone Energy® partnership to maintain
high standards of service and cooperative principles.